Honestly? I don’t think it was really a selection. It was more of a “these are the seven people who are able to walk unassisted” type of deal.
But they look better than I expected them to look, and I think they should feel optimistic at this point.
"able to walk unassisted" omg the truth is so painful
I was experimenting with different ways to really visualize the actual scoring potential of our top AA’ers so! I made a few graphs following all their AA performance from the past two seasons. WHO DOESN’T LOVE CHARTS!!!!! Apologies if I missed any, these are the ones I had recorded. intentionally left out were those that I couldn’t find apparatus-by-apparatus results for, like 2013 Romanian Nationals and a couple 2013 domestic Chinese competitions all of which would’ve been super helpful to see relative to Antwerp. Boooooo, everyone be as good as the US at having this info easily accessible in the future, thanks. D-scores noted only where they were given officially with the results.
Didn’t do Shang Chunsong since these took some time and she was still vaulting a FTY last week so tbh I’d say that counts her out of the podium race. If she shows up at Qual’s with a DTY, I…won’t actually regret not doing one for her? I hope she does just to make things exciting??
- Was part of my motivation for this to see how much of a freaky cyborg Ross looked like on paper? Maybe. Her lines are relatively straight, minus some domestic inflation and a couple mistakes.
- Doing this made me pretty convinced it’ll be 1. Biles, 2. Mustafina, 3. Iordache. Biles, duh. Looking at this, it’s definitely clear Mustafina and Iordache are working to up their problem apparatuses (with hiccups, but still. look at Iordache breaking 14 three times on bars this year!), while Yao just hasn’t done the same for floor. I’d never discount Ross doing her Robot Ross thing and outconsistenting everyone to that silver or bronze, tho.
- Biles’ straight-ass vault line all the way up in the stratosphere makes me so happy.
- Missing from this is the fact that Mustafina’s highest beam score in Antwerp was in event finals (14.9, almost a point higher than her other two sets) and her most recent beam score is actually the 15.567 she scored in the Russian Cup EFs — again, almost a point higher than her beam in the AA. Obvs, it’d be great for her if she could pull that out a couple days early this time around.
- Did you know that Iordache’s sole hit beam set in Antwerp gleaned the 2nd highest E score on beam from the entire competition? An 8.866. Gym fandom can be a little down on her form, but judges undeniably love her on beam, as was evidenced by the Great Zeng v Iordache Doha E Score Debate of 2013. I don’t think she’ll quite get up to the 7.2 routine she debuted at Romanian Nationals but an upper 6’s d-score + upper 8’s e-score = the kind of big score that will be gamechanging for her, imo. Generally she may be the one who has upped the difficulty of her program the most, if she gets close to her 5.8/6.2/7.2/6.5 potential.
- Predictions, for fun: Biles will just squeak past 61. Mustafina and Iordache will both break 60. (That’s pretty optimistic, but I’m feeling an upward trajectory for them.) Ross will continue to hover around 59 while Yao lands in the upper 58’s. Typing those sentences made me feel like a weatherman. Anyways, someone’s gonna fall and mess that up but I would rather they not, so. Let’s live in magical splatless hypotheticals a little longer.
this picture though ;D
honesty hour: i hate russia’s pt leo so much and i dont know why because i love black leos
Its only podium training and nabs is already over this meet.
Chen Siyi & Huang Huidan, Side Aerial & Side Somi
Nanning 2014 Podium Training: Simone Biles
GOD BLESS THIS LEOTARD
What is happening to Russia why are they not having a meltdown in podium as they usually do?? I am not prepared for this
this either means they’re gonna get silver or they’re saving their huge meltdown for team finals only time can tell